Saturday, November 12, 2016

Why I'm leaving the GOP

I am surprised and yes, a little disappointed, that Donald Trump has won the presidency. The United States of America has withstood far worse, and the Founding Fathers, in their wisdom, set up a governing system that ensures separation of powers and limits the power of the executive branch. The country will be okay.

But I am worried about the state of the Republican Party. GOP leadership silenced dissenting delegates at the National Convention. Many Republican politicians yielded to Trump, ignoring the principles they supposedly care about. Trump's brand of anti-free trade, anti-immigration populism that stirs up racial tensions will be here to stay. The violent, racist, anti-Semitic, and deplorable Trump supporters are vindicated. Trump's army of anonymous internet trolls who harass and threaten those who don't support Trump won't go away, now that he has won. The alt-right will find a place in the Republican party.

Some of the political issues I most deeply care about are limited government, free markets, free trade, immigration reform, and Second Amendment rights. I can't trust the GOP to be an advocate for free trade and immigration reform. Whatever bill that manages to make it through Congress will likely be vetoed by a President Trump. I can't trust that the GOP will reject racism if the party and many in it supported a man who said that a judge, born in the United States, couldn't rule fairly if his parents came from Mexico.

Unfortunately, the Democrats haven't demonstrated much dedication to free markets, religious liberties, and Second Amendment rights. It seems that a wave of anti-trade populism has hit the Democratic Party as well.

I will join the Libertarians. While I do not agree with the party platform on every issue, I know that Libertarians are dedicated to limiting the size of government, and they definitely support free markets and free trade. They want to make immigration easier, not harder, because it is good for the economy. Also, they support constitutional rights, including Second Amendment rights.

Austin Petersen, a presidential candidate, ran a good campaign and came in second place for the Libertarian Party nomination. Here's what he has said:

As President of the United States, I will defend life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I believe that rights don't come from government, and that all rights are individual rights. As a constitutional libertarian, I believe in a government of limited powers, and that the only government that is fit to exist is one that respects our natural rights given to us by our creator or our natural state of liberty. I will protect our national security while obeying my oath of office, and respect the checks and balances of power established by our Founders. I will only go to war if our national security is threatened, and if there is an appropriate act of congress. I will not shrink from any enemy, foreign, or domestic. I will unequivocally support your right to bear arms. I will speak out for the rights of the unborn, and I will also speak out against the death penalty. I will defend free markets in healthcare, energy, and even roads. I promise to champion free trade. Let other nations throw rocks in their harbors. America will be free, from sea to shining sea. Are you with me?

Austin Petersen is definitely a politician of our future. I am optimistic for all we can do together, if we just stand for what we believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment